RE: [linux-audio-dev] surround encoding

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] surround encoding
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 01:21:01 EEST

[...]
> > In extreme, people would have to design a new free surround format
> > and offer the decoder to amplifier manufacturers.
>
> What about ambisonics? I think the decoder hardware is expensive but
> aren't there some LADSPA plugins that can encode it? It's technologically
> superior to the 5.1 and 6.1 formats anyway IMHO. Though I asuming that the
> point is to produce something that can be played back on generic domestic
> equipment.
[...]

Now there's a subject and a half. Ambisonics is *different* to 5.1 and has
advantages and disadvantages (mostly advantages IMHO). Much of the power of
Ambisonic encoding is that you can find an optimal decoding strategy for
whatever speakers are available and you don't need a hardware decoder (there
are a number of software ones included in the CMT plugin set).

Anyone wanting to find out about Ambisonics might be interested in taking a
look at http://www.muse.demon.co.uk/3daudio.html.

--Richard