Re: [linux-audio-dev] surround encoding

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] surround encoding
From: Nick Bailey (n.bailey_AT_elec.gla.ac.uk)
Date: Thu Oct 18 2001 - 15:17:35 EEST

Steve Harris wrote:

> Thanks, I'm very interested in ambisonics, but was put off by the price of
> the equipment, looks like decoding is covered then. Do you know if its
> posible to build a soundfield type mic using cheap elements, or does it
> require really good ones?
>
> - Steve

I believe so: you need an omni and two figure-of-eights for a minimal setup if
I remember. The 8s are places front-back and left-right in the horizontal plane,
and coincident with the omni. Of course, depends what you mean by cheap (most
cheap mics are Cardiod, aren't they.)

But you'd better listen to Richard or read the web page on this one: I've
forgotten all I ever knew about ambisonics...

N/