Re: [linux-audio-dev] huge latency peaks with 2.4.10-smp kernel

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] huge latency peaks with 2.4.10-smp kernel
From: Roger Larsson (roger.larsson_AT_norran.net)
Date: Sat Oct 20 2001 - 00:55:24 EEST

Kai and others,

Suppose a patch gets into the kernel that lowers throughput by 10%
How many bug reports will there be on linux-kernel within 24 hours?

Suppose another patch doubles maximum latency.
How many bug reports will then be on linux-kernel?

(There will be reports on both but many for the throughput case and
 only a few for latency, people are nowdays running mp3 players
 while benchmarking throughput - intentionally :-)

On Friday 19 October 2001 19:56, you wrote:
> >I don't like the way it's done. Mainstream goes digging latency holes all
> >the time and small group of people is running after and trying to fill
> > those holes. I'd like to see more co-operation and less one-eyed way of
> > doing things.

If latency is this important for you Kai then why didn't you send a BUG
report to linux-kernel?

YES, a bug report !

> agreed. but this is happening less and less. Ingo, Andrew and now
> Richard's work is making many more people think about scheduling
> latency issues. this would never have happened without their
> demonstrating the amazing effect of their patches.

32 processor computers can not afford long locked regions with several
processors spinning on that lock, that is why the preemptive kernel work
is so nice. Both lowlatency folks and multiprocessor folks aim for the same
target :-)

> >That's why he should be thinking about every feature "how this affects
> >throughput and latency". If it increases throughput by 10% but causes
> >latencies to raise by order of magnitude that "improvement" should be
> >dropped.
>
> there are many, many users of the linux kernel who would not agree with you
> at all about this. probably even the majority.

Linus is one - but someone has to indicate that there is a problem...

> [- - -]
>
> >Kernel could also disable badly behaving driver. Once too long in driver
> > and *bang* driver is unloaded and device disabled.
>
> Ouch. You mean instrument every place where we block and unblock
> interrupts? Linus and 99.9% of the rest of the world are going to
> really love that!

There is some work by Ingo Molnar that measures how often an interrupt
happens when already servicing interrupts - it then disables those
who behave bad.

There is a new (2.4.12) proc parameter in /proc/irc/max_rate that I think is
slightly related - if a driver is in interrupt service to much. The interrupt
will be disabled and it will be polled instead...
(this is really for GigaBit ethernet drivers, they can generate so many
 interrupts that no user space work gets done...)

/RogerL

--
Roger Larsson
Skellefteċ