[linux-audio-dev] gsmp release 0.0.1

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] gsmp release 0.0.1
From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Oct 21 2001 - 22:42:09 EEST

Hi all.

Because of the lack of an really good wave-editor for Linux, we decided to write a
gtk-- based wave-editor for Linux - under the GPL.

On October the 16th 2001 the vapo-ware state of GSMP ended and we released the first
official (beta-qualtiy) source-package containing the GSMP-Editor! (Still not that
really good ;-()

http://www.rene.rebe.myokay.net/gsmp/index.html

We currently focus on building a complete and open-source Virtual Studio environment
for Linux. This General Sound Manipulation Program will consist of a normal Wave-
Editor and an application where wave and MIDI unite to a full Virtual Studio environ-
ment.

Current Features:
-----------------
Non-destructive editing: All action on the audio data can be made undone. So you can
play around with the effects without modifying any bit of your original data file.

Multi-threaded design: GSMP is multi-threaded. Especially the the wave-plots and the
FX's are generated in a background thread and the UI keeps interactive!

Internal sample-format: 24/8 bit fixed-point arithmetic is used to allow overflows
with no acurrany loss.

Internal sample-index: 64 bit indexes are used to allow live takes even at 96kHz
DVD quality.

Track count: The track count is not limitted. Also multi-track recording is supported,
too. In fact we used GSMP-Editor to record 10 channels with the MIDIMAN Delta 1010
two month ago!!! (BTW: 2-8% CPU load on an Athlon 600Mhz ...)

Realtime effect prehearing: Most effects can be pre-heared during playback!

Supported import-formats: Currently MS-Wave, Ogg/Vorbis and MP3 (experimental!!!)
are supported. Decompression is done on-the-fly!

Supported export-formats: Currently only Wave is supported.

Current effects: Fadings, graphical-eq, some IIR filters, compressor, noise-gate,
de-click and reverb.

It is a initial release and there is still much to do ... . It would be nice to get
user feedback and some other developers to accelerate the development-process.

(Some code-parts are first implementation of interesting desing-studies and will
be rewritten in the next weeks ... - Take a look at the homepage for some basic
info - or read the source)

René Rebe and Valentin Ziegler

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #127875)

eMail: rene.rene_AT_gmx.net rene.rebe_AT_rocklinux.org

Homepage: http://www.rene.rebe.myokay.net/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.