Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-user] gsmp release 0.0.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-user] gsmp release 0.0.1
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 17:13:06 EEST

>From: Bill Schottstaedt <bil_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU>
>
>> I tried to contribute my developments to Snd, but heard nothing back
>> from its author.
>
>This is a lie -- I never received anything from you except a copy of
>some complaints you sent to SoundForge.

I have not sent any complaints to SoundForge. The two mails I
mailed both to you and to David described my observations on
what features an editor needs for being usable (for editing
audio files I prefer to edit) --- with my wish that those features
would find their way to Snd before I have a change to move to Snd.

Also, pointing out problems and giving a solution is not a complaint.
AND, I did _not_ get any reply from you. Does the same "complaints"
apply to Snd too?

Lets get the ball rolling: here are a couple of features needed for
succesful basic editing (no need to reread my mails!):

 -Software volume (up to +64 dB, say); this feature is needed
  for listening cut points between quiet fades, but also in
  noise reduction software where one needs to find the background-
  noise-only areas (i.e., the noise floor) [ as discussed here,
  Wavelab implements this with a plug-in at output path; good idea ]

 -Play feature where the region between the mouse pointer and the
  nearest edge of the selection is played; this makes it possible
  to play the ends of the selection, and check if anything important
  was accidentally left outside the selection [such a feature is
  in XWave2 (which is my version of XWave)]

 -Recording dropouts marked as red colored regions to waveform
  display so that one can see both if dropouts occured and if
  a dropout landed on the important part of the take; a close
  encounter with Alsa needed

SoundForge misses both two first features which makes it impossible
(IMHO) to make accurate edits. But I repeat my question: how people
do it without those features? I'm puzzled. (Actually, a friend
mastering CDs professionally turned volumes high up when listening
cut points near fades; occasionally he forgot to turn the volume
down, eek --- doesn't make good to speakers, nor ears.)

Bill, what is your opinion on people who don't contribute code
but only feature ideas and design? I just want to make sure
I don't waste time here.

Best regards,

Juhana