Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-user] gsmp release 0.0.1

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [Alsa-user] gsmp release 0.0.1
From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Tue Oct 23 2001 - 18:31:45 EEST

Hi.

On Tue, 23 Oct 2001 07:01:20 -0700
Bill Schottstaedt <bil_AT_ccrma.Stanford.EDU> wrote:

> > IMO, the issue of multitrack
> > recording seems better left to dedicated multitrack recorders (Ardour,
> > ecasound).
>
> I agree completely -- I haven't had time yet to try out ecasound,
> but Fernando showed me Ardour and it is beautiful. I'm very tempted
> to remove the "Record" option from Snd! As a bit of boring history,
> that dialog dates back to the SGI days, and was ported to Linux
> at a time when Soundblaster cards were about as good as you could
> get; I was trying at the time to fill an obvious need.

Some short points about why I developed another Audio Editor (and to
end the discussion why another one).

1. I started to play with such stuff in the i386 times under DOS
2. When I started to use Linux (3? years ago) there was no audio
   editor solution
3. All the other applicatoins that came up during this time had a
   few probelms:
   a) not powerfull enough
   b) not useable

The exceptions are at least Ardour and snd. Ardour never compiled on my system
and targets another area (seems to be everything-in-one-place(tm) hard-disk-
recorder emulation). SND was one of the not-powerfull/not-useable tools
some years ago and I took a look onit a few month ago - and I gave up compiling
it.

gcc -c -DHAVE_CONFIG_H -g -O2 -I/usr/include -I/usr/X11R6/include clm.c
clm.c:40: gsl/gsl_complex_math.h: No such file or directory
In file included from clm.c:5955:
/usr/include/gsl/gsl_sf_bessel.h:8: gsl_mode.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/gsl/gsl_sf_bessel.h:9: gsl_precision.h: No such file or directory
/usr/include/gsl/gsl_sf_bessel.h:10: gsl_sf_result.h: No such file or directory
make: *** [clm.o] Error 1

(Yes I have a development system (and my whole distribution compiles on this
system!) - and the only programs I have compile prolems with, were Ardour and
SND ... ?!)

We would have contributed to a project - if there would have been one (not C
hacked) one year ago.

GSMP would have been released last autumn - if the book C++ TPL from Bjarne
Stroustrup hadn't sliped through my hands ...

IMO this is the most interesting point on GSMP. Is is fully obejct-oriented, features
a very cool plugin and activator system, many GUI componets are generated
dynamically ...

It is not just another wave-editor, and we WILL continue developing it.

(BTW: We have already produced a CD with it ;-)

k33p h4ck1n6 René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #127875)

eMail: rene.rene_AT_gmx.net rene.rebe_AT_rocklinux.org

Homepage: http://www.rene.rebe.myokay.net/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.