Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio streaming over network

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Audio streaming over network
From: John Lazzaro (lazzaro_AT_CS.Berkeley.EDU)
Date: Wed Oct 24 2001 - 00:57:20 EEST

> On Tue, 23 Oct 2001, Ryan Mitchley wrote:
>
> Hi all
>
> Does anyone here know of a library or API for streaming audio over a
> network?

> M. Edward (Ed) Borasky writes
>
> Check out "sfront" at
>
> http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/

Soon, but not quite yet -- at the moment, sfront networking does
MIDI resilently for low-latency situations, and while you could
concievably hack this to do audio (sending samples encoded as
MIDI change-control events, and reassmbling on the other side),
you really don't want to go there.

I'm actively working on SASL networking for sfront at the moment --
SASL is the more general-purpose control language for Structured
Audio, provided as a companion to MIDI control. SASL is well
suited for writing custom audio codecs in Structured Audio, so
once the SASL packetization is ready, sfront should be a viable
platform for these sorts of experiments. But not for another few
months ...

                                                                --jl