[linux-audio-dev] question regarding Hammerfall 9652 Analog Brackets (AEB4/8-I and O)

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] question regarding Hammerfall 9652 Analog Brackets (AEB4/8-I and O)
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Thu Oct 25 2001 - 21:33:12 EEST

Hi fellow linux developers, I have a small question for ya (esp. Hammerfall
users). Currently my studio is planning to purchase Hammerfall 9652 for our
multichannel Linux rig. The question I have is whether ALSA drivers support
RME-made analog brackets (AEB4/8-I and O) for input (I) and output (O), or
do we really need to purchase external breakout box. To me it seems as if
driver has nothing to do with it, since those brackets are connected to the
on-board adat i/o of the Hammerfall card, so it seems that as long as the
card works under Linux this should work just fine (since in both cases the
whole stuff comunicates via ADAT port, unless the onboard ADAT is not
supported by current ALSA driver?). Please do correct me if I am wrong.
Also, the question is whether such setting (as opposed to external breakout
box) will have sync problems or anything other related to that?

The basic reason that my studio wants to go this way is due to fact that
this way the purchase would comfortably fit into our budget (so that we
don't have to dish out $600+ for a breakout box capable of dealing with
8-channel ADAT). Could you please shed some light on the issue whether are
there any hidden catches or quality setbacks if we opt for purchasing those
brackets? Thank you!

If you still do not know what I am talking about, here are the URL's for
them:
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/aeb/aeb48i.htm
http://www.rme-audio.com/english/aeb/aeb48o.htm

Thank you! Sincerely,