Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 04:23:33 EEST

>But my main point is this -- out in the radio world, for one, a sound editor
>and a multitracker are not necessarily different, and it would be more than
>nice to have an integrated 'arbitrary number of tracks EDITOR' that allows
>the sort of flexibility for multitrack compositions that desktop publishing
>systems have allowed for some time in the printing world.

this is true. but it doesn't address a key issue, which i think you
deny as you continue:
                                                            Or, more
>succinctly, multitrack recording and waveform/sample editing should not be
>considered separate tasks,

i don't have your experience, but i don't agree with you here. the
reason is subtle, but i find it compelling.

when working with multitrack recordings, what one is often doing is
manipulating semantically meaningful chunks of audio so that they are
correctly aligned with each, have appropriate gain and other FX
applied, and are sent to the appropriate outputs.

these tasks have little if anything to do with the process of editing
a waveform. you can make them both possible via the same GUI, or you
can create more optimized environments for both tasks. ProTools, for
examples, takes the former approach: you zoom down to sample level,
and then use the pencil tool and the selector. Other DAWs take a
the other approach. i'm still trying to see if can allow ardour uses
to fork the editor of their choice for sample-based work - i think it
might be technically infeasible for all kinds of reasons.

>I look forward to the next O'Reilly network article on Snd, and on the
>continuing development of ardour.

me too :)

--p