Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: delire (delire_AT_selectparks.net)
Date: Sat Oct 27 2001 - 08:52:11 EEST

> >But my main point is this -- out in the radio world, for one, a sound
editor
> >and a multitracker are not necessarily different, and it would be more
than
> >nice to have an integrated 'arbitrary number of tracks EDITOR' that
allows
> >the sort of flexibility for multitrack compositions that desktop
publishing
> >systems have allowed for some time in the printing world.
>
> this is true. but it doesn't address a key issue, which i think you
> deny as you continue:
> Or, more
> >succinctly, multitrack recording and waveform/sample editing should not
be
> >considered separate tasks,
>
> i don't have your experience, but i don't agree with you here. the
> reason is subtle, but i find it compelling.
>
> when working with multitrack recordings, what one is often doing is
> manipulating semantically meaningful chunks of audio so that they are
> correctly aligned with each, have appropriate gain and other FX
> applied, and are sent to the appropriate outputs.

the advantage, however, of having them as few clicks away as possible is the
added dimension of being able to use the mix down process to generate
material for further editing.
this creates a loop-back in the working process and doesn't limit the
multitrack to being situtated as only the 'final stage' in a project's
completion.

while, of course, one can do this by designating a default multitracker for
the editor [or vice versa], having it more clicks away creates *less of a
tendency* to include
the technique of using the multiracker as frequently within the actual
project's progress.
my experience with students is that they prefer to make little *test mixes*
as they go before committing to a 20minute, 20track, 48k / 32bit, mixdown.
in my experience this added flexibility and convenience produces more
considered and resolved work.

they do not [and i think shouldn't] have to be *within the same GUI window*
but, however, should be a click away. scratching for best examples of this I
sadly have to refer again to Cool Edit Pro for window$.

de|