Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] multitrack and editor separate?
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Sun Oct 28 2001 - 13:33:24 EET

Lamar Owen wrote:

> However, you hit the nail on the head when you say '...have appropriate
> gain and other FX applied....' -- in my experience, determining the
> appropriate FX levels and gains, etc, involves lots of test-mixes --
> which, at least, CEP will do a real-time monitor mixdown in multitrack
> mode. Audio editing, as I am sure you are aware :-) is not a WYSIWYG or
> even WYHIWYG enviroment, as what looks like something that will sound
> good won't necessarily really sound good. And an edit/FX/adjustment on
> one 'clip/region/block' might sound very good or even great when listened
> to in single-track edit mode, and sound like junk in the context of the
> mix.

I'm using Cakewalk SONAR and I like it very much. It can use CoolEdit as
external wave editor for bigger editing stuff, but all eq, fx, etc. things
are done either using edit list (non destructive) or in realtime.

It can nicely combine single shot and loop samples, complete audio tracks,
soft synths and and midi tracks.

Same fx/eq/levels and envelopes can apply to wave and soft synth tracks on
per-track, aux or output channel basis. And you can adjust all parameters in
realtime when music is playing.

Scrub tool is also nice (something like scratching with vinyl, just drag the
cursor back and forth at different speeds and listen).

I'm just waiting to see something similar for Linux, but I'm not very
optimistic, because it's huge program and Cakewalk definitely has quite some
experience on that field.

Now I'm only missing Creamware Pulsar II... :)

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers