Re: [linux-audio-dev] Broadcast 2000 removed from public access

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Broadcast 2000 removed from public access
From: ljp (ljp_AT_llornkcor.com)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 04:43:21 EEST

At 16:58 9/10/2001 -0700, you wrote:
>I second that, maybe it could be forked off as a part
>of the oggvorbis project, as they have created a
>foundation to protect themselves from liabilities.
>Apparently heroine virtual was actually getting hit
>with some real suit or suits, so it wasn't just a
>theoretical threat, I perhaps this is just a taste of
>hell to come, as I remeber Microslop mentioning that
>legislators need to be educated about the "risk" that
>Linux represents. Perhaps Bush is dumb enough to push
>for the complete outlawing of open source.
>--- Ruben Merz <rmerz_AT_inktomi.com> wrote:

This goes with the current state of the USA and the suit happy atmosphere
here, and people not taking responsibility for themselves and their actions
anymore.
Personally I think it might have to do with this
http://linuxmediaarts.com

can't get $19,999.99 for free software and some hardware.....
Maybe the potential for litigation made him want to pull it.
Anyhow, the source is still out there on distribution disks and currently
on their ftp servers.
Maybe studios and other media types won't use software that they can't
point their fingers at when they themselves screw things up and not back up.
But, I'd hate to spend 36 hours rendering anything that turns out crappy
because of defects in the software.

If they outlaw open source, then only outlaws will have open source, and
they can pry my gnu compiler from my cold, dead harddrive.

ljp