Re: [linux-audio-dev] DSP resources

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] DSP resources
From: M. Edward (Ed) Borasky ("M.)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 19:43:53 EEST

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001, Juhana Sadeharju wrote:

> I still would like to suggest to make clear difference between
> the actual code and the plug-in wrapping. It would be quite simple
> to have compressor/limiter functions which are then used in various
> plug-in wrappings.
>
> I don't know what constitutes as "low-level" but I'm writing things
> like filter design utilities to my code libarary. Think about Matlab
> as C library with a toolbox for low-latency audio. Matlab, Octave,
> Gnuplot etc. are good as a standalone but in practise I have had
> a need for flexibility of C -- well, at least I were able to do special
> stuff in C but not in Gnuplot. Benno's latency test is exactly of such
> a type of code which gets me smile: it performs the test, collects the
> data, and does plotting in the same code -- it could be turned to
> interactive program or to do something special (stress the disk more)
> with simple modifications. Though, not everything needs to be done
> in C.

For real-time DSP in C, I rather like the GPL "sfront" package. There is a
C-like language called SAOL, which is essentially a successor to CSound's
instrument definition capabilities. Once you have your "instruments" designed
in SAOL, you run them through the "sfront" pre-processor, which gives you a
C program. You compile and link that C program and you have an executable
specifically designed for whatever signal processing task you wish to perform.
"sfront" can be found at

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/~lazzaro/sa/sfman/user/install/index.html#download

I don't know much about interfacing home-grown C code into Octave or SciLab,
but I'd imagine, since they're open source, it would be easy. I do have plans
to interface "sfront" into the statistical package "R", also GPL, some time in
the near future. Watch this space :-).

The SAOL language implemented in "sfront" includes FFTs, FIR and IIR filters
along with a number of synthesis algorithms.

--
znmeb_AT_aracnet.com (M. Edward Borasky) http://www.aracnet.com/~znmeb

Q. Who invented the non-Von Neumann computer architecture? A. John non-Von Neumann.