Re: [linux-audio-dev] DSP resources

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] DSP resources
From: Juhana Sadeharju (kouhia_AT_nic.funet.fi)
Date: Tue Sep 11 2001 - 16:21:35 EEST

>From: Tommi Ilmonen <tilmonen_AT_cc.hut.fi>
>
>There is a small low-level high-performance DSP library (C++) that is
>distributed with Mustajuuri. I am intentionally keeping it small and very
>stand-alone. Right now there are only a few filter classes and delay
>lines. I have a few compression and limiter algorithms as well, but those
>have been put to the Mustajuuri plugins. I consider them mildly too
>complex for a low-level DSP lib.

I still would like to suggest to make clear difference between
the actual code and the plug-in wrapping. It would be quite simple
to have compressor/limiter functions which are then used in various
plug-in wrappings.

I don't know what constitutes as "low-level" but I'm writing things
like filter design utilities to my code libarary. Think about Matlab
as C library with a toolbox for low-latency audio. Matlab, Octave,
Gnuplot etc. are good as a standalone but in practise I have had
a need for flexibility of C -- well, at least I were able to do special
stuff in C but not in Gnuplot. Benno's latency test is exactly of such
a type of code which gets me smile: it performs the test, collects the
data, and does plotting in the same code -- it could be turned to
interactive program or to do something special (stress the disk more)
with simple modifications. Though, not everything needs to be done
in C.

Regards,

Juhana