Re: [linux-audio-dev] evo status?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] evo status?
From: Josh Green (jgreen_AT_users.sourceforge.net)
Date: Wed Sep 12 2001 - 00:57:22 EEST

On Tue, 11 Sep 2001 12:20:33 +0200
 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings_AT_folkwang-hochschule.de> wrote:
> bodhi wrote:
> >
> > Hi, i am wondering what the status of evo is? is it
> still in development?
> > the sourceforge page has nothing, and the last time
> anything was touched in
> > http://www.linuxdj.com/evo/ (which i found from the LAD
> archive) was about a
> > year ago... i am wanting a sampler equivalent to the
> A3k etc, and would like
> > to lend a hand to any work in progress before i go off
> and start my own...
> >
> > bodhi
>
> last thing i saw was benno senoner demonstrating his
> "disksampler"
> on linuxtag.
> benno, could you comment on this ?
>
> regards,
>
> jörn

iiwusynth (http://www.hanappe.com/iiwusynth.html) is a sound
font based sampler. Its been integrated into MusE. Note to
Benno and others who are interested in sound fonts. I'm
currently working on a sound font library from the Smurf
(http://smurf.sourceforge.net) code base which will contain
sound font loading/saving/editing functions as well as a
database protocol for sending patch updates to
programs/drivers. This library will be the basis for many
cool things to be done with Smurf including direct
integration with iiwusynth; the SmurfJam project which will
be an online protocol for sharing sound font patches and
transmitting midi data for doing online jam sessions; and
perhaps it will be useful for ALSA sound font support as
well. An online sound font database would be cool too, where
you could search by preset name and even have it create a
sound font on the fly with a number of presets and let you
download it :) This library is still in heavy developement,
but I'm excited about the possibilities. In the future it
might turn into a more general patch library (DLS, etc), but
for now I'm sticking to sound fonts. If anyone wants to be a
part of this project, join me on the smurf-devel mailing
list, you can find it off of the project page.
Heres to continuing the coding and using of free software,
despite the rest of the greedy commercial monster at large,
may the monster grow ever smaller.
        Josh