Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS drivers

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALSA vs OSS drivers
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Sun Sep 30 2001 - 21:55:01 EEST

dave willis wrote:

> yes, it's what i want, too, but not all my oss programs work *at all*
> with alsa. specifically, jmax (2.4.12) does not work with oss-emu, it
> supposedly works with alsa 0.5, but not with 0.9, and i believe that 0.5
> has poor ice1712 (envy24) support.

I've been happily using the commercial OSS driver (
http://www.4front-tech.com ).

At least for my program, upgrading from ALSA 0.5 to 0.9 seems to require
almost complete rewrite of audio layer. It's problematic because there are
lot of users still using ALSA 0.5 and both versions can't coexist so I have
to use two computers to compile the software for both.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers