Re: [linux-audio-dev] The fastest desktop environment?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] The fastest desktop environment?
From: Alexander Ehlert (alexander.ehlert_AT_uni-tuebingen.de)
Date: Wed Jan 02 2002 - 19:58:20 EET

Hi,

> I think KDE and gnome are too overpowered.

in this case you can still use the console? The question is
whether you're happy doing it. You can use cglame for this purpose.
On the other hand, if you feel like using a gui, you won't get around
at least the qt/kde libs or the gnome/gtk libs just depending which
audio software you're using. If just running the desktop overpowers
your computer, I doubt that it's fast enough for any realtime application.
If you just feel overpowered by your desktop then just use a lightweight
window manager.

> Has anyone made or knows of benchmarks results
> especially for the audio sector?

How would such a benchmark look like? I doubt that the desktop is the
problem, you could do a benchmark between different sound editors.
Measuring like 100 times cut&paste ? Or CPU load while playing a file?
All depending on file size, RAM, CPU, ...
Haven't seen anything like that so far. Don't know whether it would make
sense anyway..

Cheers, Alex

--

Writing is easy; all you do is sit staring at the blank sheet of paper until drops of blood form on your forehead. -- Gene Fowler