Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 20:54:08 EET

On Thu, 03 Jan 2002 12:00:10 -0500
Paul Davis <pbd_AT_Op.Net> wrote:

> for those who don't know, the regular ALSA sequencer does "all" this
> stuff as well. port sharing, multiplexing, etc. etc.

I have heard this about ALSA.

> of course, its
> not documented other than some reference material on the API and some
> example programs.

And thats a problem.

I have managed to install ALSA on my laptop and on my wife's machine but
have not yet installed it on my own machine, mainly because I was never
able to get ALSA midi support working. The documentation is woefully
out of date. I do remember seeing another installation howto from someone
in New Zealand but I couldn't find that information when I needed it.

Finally, I dont think that ALSA supports USB midi devices and therefore
these devices would be outside the ALSA midi framework.

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
UNIX *is* user-friendly, just picky about who it
chooses for friends!