Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 20:46:20 EET

On Thu, 3 Jan 2002 15:29:13 +0100
"martijn sipkema" <msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com> wrote:

> Well... Please enlighten me (and perhaps other not so bright people).

My solution to this problem is to use SysV IPC message queues. Each read/
write to/from a message queue is atomic. That means as long as a each access
of the message queue transfers a complete midi message (3 bytes for note on/off
or N bytes for sysex) then the message queue keeps each complete midi message
together.

Then all that is required is a library which wraps the acesses to the message
queue enforcing the rule of "one complete midi message per queue access".

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"In civilian equipment, such as computers, the number
of components alone makes miniaturization essential if
the computer is to be housed in a reasonable-sized
building." Electronics Oct. 1, 1957, p. 178