[linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Thu Jan 03 2002 - 09:49:21 EET

Hi People,

I'm looking for something like a software midi mapper. This mythical
piece of software would hide all of the physical midi devices and
instead provide virtual midi devices.

Virtualising the midi I/O ports in this manner would allow multiple
programs to connect to the same physical midi port (for instance, a
midi sequencer and a sysex patch editor should be able to
simultaneously access to the same synth). In addition, this midi
mapper should also have full routing capabilities allowing any
physical or virtual midi port to be routed to any other port.

Does anything like this currently exist? I've heard of both MidiShare
and PortMidi but both seem somewhat vapourish and I can't find any
real information on them and what they do.

Cheers,
Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
"The X-files is too optimistic. The truth is not out there."
-- Anthony Ord