Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Midi Mapper???
From: Patrick Shirkey (kotau_AT_firstlinux.net)
Date: Fri Jan 04 2002 - 13:15:16 EET

>I have managed to install ALSA on my laptop and on my wife's machine but
>have not yet installed it on my own machine, mainly because I was never
>able to get ALSA midi support working. The documentation is woefully
>out of date. I do remember seeing another installation howto from someone
>in New Zealand but I couldn't find that information when I needed it.

If your talking about my site I have just collected all the music related howtos I could find. I'm still trying to grok (onboard) midi but I'm pretty close so once I get it up I'll be able to add something for that.

http://www.boosthardware.com/LAU/Linux_Audio_Users_Guide/

It really depends on which card you are using. There are plenty of references to sblives and midi but hardly any for any other cards. Still It should be straight forward once you know how. ;]

Mian thing seems to be compiling with --with-sequencer=yes and adding snd-id-midi=1(or something similar) to the modules.conf file.

Then modprobe snd-seq-oss

cat /proc/asound/sndstat to verify the midi is switched on. Then you should be able to use pd to get some signals flowing.

The last part is where I'm up to. Maybe I'll try again tonight.

Regs.

Want a new web-based email account ? ---> http://www.firstlinux.net