Re: [linux-audio-dev] command line audio player w/stdout, start time?

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] command line audio player w/stdout, start time?
From: Erik de Castro Lopo (erikd-lad_AT_mega-nerd.com)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 04:13:15 EET

On Fri, 11 Jan 2002 17:40:40 -0800 (PST)
"Lance Blisters" <geoff_AT_lek.ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> I need to play aiff files from a certain
> start time within the file, and i would
> greatly prefer a command-line app which
> can output raw 16-bit integer output to stdout
> because i have a framework for quickly
> adding command-line decoders.
>
> Compiling libaudiofile and libsndfile,
> the file play utilities (named sfplay in
> both packages) support only a subset of
> formats and don't support starting within
> a file.

Lance,

I'm the developer of libsndfile.

Since you are posting to the DEVELOPER's list I will assume that you
are a developer. It sould be trivial to modify the sfplay program
from libsndfile to do what you want.

> the "sfconvert"s didn't have the output to stdout.

It doesn't currently work in sfconvert, but libsndfile recognises
"-" as the appropriate filename stdin or stdout. Again, modifying
sfconvert to do this would be trivial.

> did i miss a utility which fits my needs?
> ideally one which supports .voc

VOC is coming in libsndfile version 1.0.0 due out RSN (real soon now).

> and other
> common miscellaneous formats which i'll
> also want to handle at some point?

Any others you care to mention?

Erik

  Erik de Castro Lopo  nospam_AT_mega-nerd.com (Yes it's valid)
Journalist: Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer has finally said Linux
            is the No. 1 threat to Windows. What's your response to that?
Linus     : "Tag, you're it." I don't care. They've had a lot of
            enemies in their time. Let them fight one enemy that
            doesn't care for a change.