Re: [linux-audio-dev] ossmixer latency =1.4msecs

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ossmixer latency =1.4msecs
From: Jussi Laako (jussi.laako_AT_kolumbus.fi)
Date: Sat Jan 12 2002 - 19:06:04 EET

ira ekhaus wrote:

> If these latencies are a fact of life, then the only way I can explain
> this is that the ossxmixer program is setting up a register (software)
> enabled hardware loopback mode where the ADC's output are fed directly
> to input of the DACs. Most codecs have this feature as a first
> bootstrap capability to test the wiring of a new circuit.

Delta1010 has 36-bit hardware digital mixer and digital patchbay/router so
all you did was you set up the router to route signal directly from AD to
DA. I think most of the observed latency comes from the digital filters of
AD and DA converters.

However, you can get quite low (software) latency by using the S/PDIF I/O
and 256 byte buffers.

 - Jussi Laako

--
PGP key fingerprint: 161D 6FED 6A92 39E2 EB5B  39DD A4DE 63EB C216 1E4B
Available at PGP keyservers