RE: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Pieter (pieter.palmers_AT_student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 18:21:04 EET

> I also like the Firewire idea (also I do not know enough about latency
> problems). 400MBit/s -> 50MB/s. This should be enough for 136 32bit
> channels @ 96kHz:
>
> ([400/8]*1024*1024) / (96000*4) = 136.53
> - communictaion overhead ...
>
> But something between 16 and 32 channels should be enough for the
> beginning.

I also have no experience with firewire, but it is indeed a nice idea.
It actually comes down to the same thing as making a PCI board with breakout
box. You would put a DSP on the board and interface to the breakout box
using
SPI or IēS or something like that.

The only drawback could be latency. I don't know what the latency issues are
with firewire cards. I guess it depends on the controller used. Anyone any
experience?

After quick skimming of some firewire specs I'm getting pretty exited about
the idea. Let me summarize what I found:
        (from TI docs)
        Features
        • Real-time data transfer for multimedia applications
        • 100, 200, and 400 Mbps data rates for high speed applications in cable
environments
        • 25 and 50 Mbps data rates for backplane environments
        • Live connection/disconnection without data loss or interruption
        • Automatic configuration supporting plug and play
        • Free network topology allowing branching and daisy-chaining
        • Guaranteed bandwidth assignments for real-time applications

especially the first and the last points are exciting.
I'd rather see some numbers instead of 'real-time' etc, but I assume it
will be good enough.

Now on to finding how to interface with a DSP...

Pieter

PS: firewire is a nice option for laptop users too, my father bought a Dell
lattidude C810, and
it has firewire support. I think the future will bring more high-performance
laptops with firewire
support. (I guess I'm sold...)
PPS: Blowing up my mainboard isn't a hobby, another advantage for firewire.

pieter.palmers_AT_esat.kuleuven.ac.be
Currently getting my
Masters in Science and Engineering, (micro-electronics)
@ ESAT laboratory, KULeuven, Belgium.