Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Rene Rebe (rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 19:34:28 EET

Hi.

From: Kristian <kristian.peters_AT_korseby.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2002 17:06:31 +0100

> "Pieter" <pieter.palmers_AT_student.kuleuven.ac.be> wrote:
> | Would it help to use a DSP with on-chip PCI support?
> | (I have no experience with PCI. The only thing I know is that ISA was a
> | lot easier :)
> |
> | (I like the external box idea... I think it will be easier to get
> | good SNR & good EM interference suppression)
>
> The point I'm interested in is how can I get my ASM program on that DSP chip ? As far as I understand this so far I need to put a little filter-program or whatever on this chip (I need to program this DSP.) to hear anything useful out of it.

This is not soo hard. We simply have to define a API for this. Also
our _firmware_ might be downloaded by the ALSA-driver itself (like it
is done for the Adaptec aic7xxx devices).

Possibilies:

- seriel transmitting via PIO <sucks>
- direct copy in memory-mapped address space <only possible if it is a
PCI card>
- or some well defined packages that are transmitted over firewire <but
then we need the firware in an EEPROM or FLASH-ROM.
- I do ont know if ALSA has an interface for this yet - but since this
are custom effects anyway, it would be very hard to add a gernic way
for this into ALSA. (maybe some external tool like the envy24control
for the ICE chips?)

But defineing in which way your code gets to the bord is not the point
to start with ;-)

1st: needed functionallity
2nd: whar man and material resources are available
3rd: with what components would we like to start (PCI card, firewire,
..)
... more detailed planing ...

> *Kristian
>
> ·· · · reach me :: · ·· ·· · · ·· · ·· · ··· · ·
> :: http://www.korseby.net
> :: http://www.tomlab.de
> kristian_AT_korseby.net ....::

k33p h4ck1n6
  René

--
René Rebe (Registered Linux user: #248718 <http://counter.li.org>)

eMail: rene.rebe_AT_gmx.net rene_AT_rocklinux.org

Homepage: http://drocklinux.dyndns.org/rene/

Anyone sending unwanted advertising e-mail to this address will be charged $25 for network traffic and computing time. By extracting my address from this message or its header, you agree to these terms.