Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Max Kovgan (smcmaugh_AT_techst02.technion.ac.il)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 21:47:31 EET

i'll drop my 10 cents of what i would expect it to be:

so far the most common features in professional audio/midi cards are:

1) as for Audio -

quality audio:
24/32 or more bit depth, \
up to 96 khz sampling freq.\ A->D and D->A
wide Freq. response, /
wide dynamic range. /

high SNR,
multi channel

internal low latency signal processing ( realtime effects )
possibility to load programs from harddisk in native format
[ software synthesis, effects ] and generally reprogram the DSPs
on the fly ... via PCI or maybe USB ?

2) as for MIDI:
all midi functions, including sequencing, recording etc.
MIDI in, out, through, multiple devices ["midi router",
this should not be the most complex thing, because the snr and other
delicate high speed audio issues do not disturb MIDI]

3) break out box, of course!
it shall contain the MIDI/Audio ins/outs, possibly LEDs :)

hmmm this all sounds like a really serious project for more than a year !

   "He took his vorpal sword in hand:
    Long time the manxome foe he sought -
    So rested he by the Tumtum tree.
    And stood awhile in thought."