Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: John Meacham (john_AT_repetae.net)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 01:05:52 EET

probably an easy way to make an USB->midi converter would be to start
with one of these.

http://www.ajusd.org/~edward/ezproto/
http://ezusb2131.sourceforge.net/

you probably wouldn't need anything more than the cypres chip and some
optoisolators to make a nice NxM port USB midi bay. plus, you can make
the driver actually follow the usbmidi spec so it will work under linux
automagically
(http://member.nifty.ne.jp/Breeze/softwares/unix/usbmidi-e.html)

btw. has anyone verified that the midiman doesn't follow this spec? if
so it should just work by adding its id to the list of supported devices
by the driver.

on another note does anyone know if this works under linux?
http://www.zzounds.com/love.music?p=p.YAMUX256&z=1273287252719
I am guessing yes, since it is a straight usb device and yamaha is
usually good about standards but a data point would be nice.

        John

On Sat, Jan 12, 2002 at 10:12:55AM +0100, Pieter wrote:
> I'm lurking this list for some time now, and I've now seen
> several threads about bad hardware support (drivers).
> It got me thinking about creating a (pro-) soundcard, specifically
> for the linux community. Not an easy job, it should be possible,
> although I'm not sure if I can do it (as I'm a student, I'm pretty low
> on budget... designing DSP H/W isn't a low-budget thing :)
> I'm interested in hearing any comments and/or suggestions.
>
> A less challenging project:
> As I skimmed the specs of the midiman usb midi interfaces, I noticed
> that the hardware part of these devices is pretty simple... well, the
> electronics, dunno about the mechanical details like case and so.
> I didn't read the manuals to look for advanced features, but I'm
> pretty sure that I can design such devices... that might be a more
> easy start. The equivalent of a midiman 1x1 should have a hardware
> cost of about 40$-60$ when using low volume pricing of components.
> This is a very rough estimate.
>
> Let me know what you guys think, if some people show interest, I might
> give it a try...
>
> Pieter

John Meacham - California Institute of Technology, Alum. - john_AT_repetae.net