Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Remco Poelstra (rjpoelstra_AT_home.nl)
Date: Sun Jan 13 2002 - 21:25:10 EET

On 2002.01.12 10:12 Pieter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm lurking this list for some time now, and I've now seen
> several threads about bad hardware support (drivers).
> It got me thinking about creating a (pro-) soundcard, specifically
> for the linux community. Not an easy job, it should be possible,
> although I'm not sure if I can do it (as I'm a student, I'm pretty low
> on budget... designing DSP H/W isn't a low-budget thing :)
> I'm interested in hearing any comments and/or suggestions.
>
> A less challenging project:
> As I skimmed the specs of the midiman usb midi interfaces, I noticed
> that the hardware part of these devices is pretty simple... well, the
> electronics, dunno about the mechanical details like case and so.
> I didn't read the manuals to look for advanced features, but I'm
> pretty sure that I can design such devices... that might be a more
> easy start. The equivalent of a midiman 1x1 should have a hardware
> cost of about 40$-60$ when using low volume pricing of components.
> This is a very rough estimate.

Hi,

I'm also an electrical engineering student and my current praticum
exercise is to build an micro processor in an Xilinx FPGA (Spartan 2).
I've such a thing on university, but since it's in a box, I don't have
very much capabilities to use it to build some DSP thing. I do have the
software to design chips and upload it all into the FPGA.
 From my experience it's horrible to work wit hthem, becuase they hardly
ever work. (Might be my experience with them, or the low quality software
we got from uni).
But what is ti you guys want to build? An soundcard with on board DSP for
SB Live! like fun or do you want to design your own DSP?
I think it's best to use a standard DSP and make a soundcard using it, so
that's user programmable, might be intern or extern, just what's
easier/cheaper.

BTW, if such a project really starts, I like to join.

Remco Poelstra