Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Mon Jan 14 2002 - 22:45:51 EET

>Perhaps an important thing about designing such a soundcard is to show the
>world that open source is more than just a few hackers doing some funny
>coding. I mean open source is real and many commercial companies just
>don't see that. Designing hardware with people all over the world as
>volunteers will take the community a step forward I think.

how will it do any more than developing software with people all over
the world? hardware costs a truly significant amount to produce and
distribute. software costs a more or less insignificant amount to
produce and distribute. which one do you think is more likely to be a
domain where "developing with people all over the world" actually
succeeds?

in addition, despite being a true GPL zealot myself, you run the risk
of seriously shooting open source in the foot with this type of
strategy. its impossible to make money from selling GPL
software. even .com millionares sometimes need to make money while
writing GPL'ed software, and one of the best ways of doing this comes
from selling and/or partnering with h/w. if the h/w is GPL'ed and in
free or ultra-low-cost circulation, this option vanishes, leaving only
consulting and support as revenue generators. most programmers who are
deeply into a project as complex as many audio+MIDI programs are would
rather avoid such things (well, this one would, anyway :)

audio+MIDI hardware is already essentially a commodity item. i really
see very little point in spending time working on developing "open
source" versions of existing hardware capabilities when there is all
this incredible software (halion, anyone?) that needs writing, and
writing soon!

--p