Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Marek Peteraj (petemar_AT_kiwwi.sk)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 01:47:54 EET

On Mon, 2002-01-14 at 21:45, Paul Davis wrote:
> >Perhaps an important thing about designing such a soundcard is to show the
> >world that open source is more than just a few hackers doing some funny
> >coding. I mean open source is real and many commercial companies just
> >don't see that. Designing hardware with people all over the world as
> >volunteers will take the community a step forward I think.
>
> how will it do any more than developing software with people all over
> the world? hardware costs a truly significant amount to produce and
> distribute. software costs a more or less insignificant amount to
> produce and distribute. which one do you think is more likely to be a
> domain where "developing with people all over the world" actually
> succeeds?

i think both :)

> in addition, despite being a true GPL zealot myself, you run the risk
> of seriously shooting open source in the foot with this type of
> strategy. its impossible to make money from selling GPL
> software. even .com millionares sometimes need to make money while
> writing GPL'ed software, and one of the best ways of doing this comes
> from selling and/or partnering with h/w.

I think there's no problem in selling open-source h/w...
The point is you wouldn't have to beg for specs.
+ you would have a bigger chance that such companies would take care of
some s/w os projects (in terms of money), because they do not have to
produce the required s/w by themselves and keep it confidential.
It's the future (i guess)...

if the h/w is GPL'ed and in
> free or ultra-low-cost circulation, this option vanishes, leaving only
> consulting and support as revenue generators. most programmers who are
> deeply into a project as complex as many audio+MIDI programs are would
> rather avoid such things (well, this one would, anyway :)
>
> audio+MIDI hardware is already essentially a commodity item. i really
> see very little point in spending time working on developing "open
> source" versions of existing hardware capabilities

most of which you can't use under linux(this concerns audio h/w)...

when there is all
> this incredible software (halion, anyone?) that needs writing, and
> writing soon!

Benno's disk sampler evo? would be cool :)

Marek