Re: [linux-audio-dev] New plugins, fixes etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New plugins, fixes etc.
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 11:57:17 EET

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 06:15:55 +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> I have never seen a real tube guitar amplifier with a crossover so the
> crossover should probably be ditched. Because guitar amps usually have
> 10, 12 or 15 inch speakers (from 1 up to 8) and rather large cabinets the
> correct EQ should probably be a high order (8 to 12) butterworth lowpass
> at somewhere between 4Khz and 10kHz to accurately model the frequency
> response of the speakers and cabinet.

That's what I though when I first read up on the subject, but its not
crossover as in filters, its crossover as in amplifier switching. It's
caused by the zero-crossing correction in class B and AB power
amplifiers. Aparently its an important part of the sound of guitar amps.
http://www.google.com/search?q=%22crossover+distortion%22

Your compressor would be most welcome as a LADSPA plugin. There is a
distinct lack of compressors at the moment.

- Steve