Re: [linux-audio-dev] New plugins, fixes etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New plugins, fixes etc.
From: Steve Harris (S.W.Harris_AT_ecs.soton.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 12:17:45 EET

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 11:16:57 +0200, mikko.a.helin_AT_nokia.com wrote:
> See http://www.johnson-amp.com/pdf/CabinetImaging.pdf for info on
> speaker simulation.

Thanks, looks like they are using acoustic models or raytracing to model
cabinets, which was my first idea, but its very time consuming.

> Best way (but not effective) to simulate speaker would be to sample the
> impulse response and use convolution (like AcousticMirror does). I guess
> Johnson and Line6 use other regular IIR and FIR filters. I thin there
> are some filter design apps available for the job.

This is what I'm trying at the moment. My major concern is latency, I
don't think I can get it below 256 or 512 samples (5 or 11ms @ 44k1) with
reasonable CPU use. Also it would only work well at the capture frequency,
I don't know how bad the effects of resampling impulses from 44k to 48k are
offhand.

I suspect that I would get better results with a swept sine, rather than
an impulse, but deconvoloving impulses is trivial ;) and I'm just playing
about at the moment.

- Steve