Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)
From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith_AT_bitworks.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 23:51:15 EET

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 12:30:29 -0800, Tom wrote:

>This raises a question. Now that desktop computers can contain 2 GB of
>ram, has the window of opportunity closed for this technology? It might
>be easiest to flow around this rock.

Thats actually a good point... I guess the answer is if 2 GB is
enough RAM to have enough channels to overload the CPU and IO
bandwith of the host. Things like GigaSampler allow you to layer and
a bunch of instruments into one channel.

It would still limit you when using things like GigaPiano which has a
_huge_ sample size for each piano.

Dunno. Perhaps you could store the audio in ram compressed with one
of the non-lossy audio comprssion algos? Those can get 2:1 can't
they. That would make it 4 gigs which would probally do for all but
really demanding stuff.

For smaller sample sets that would indeed be an easy way around the
patent with almost identical capability. Even though SDRAM is up in
price from 2 months ago it's still pretty cheap.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith_AT_bitworks.com               501.846.5777 x204