Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)
From: Richard C. Burnett (burnett_AT_tality.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 23:51:12 EET

This amazes me that they can patent this. Because the concept is not new,
at least as far as I can tell. Just like when you are watching streaming
video or audio off the net, which is coming from an HD somewhere, it
buffers first so that while the movie is playing, it has enough extra time
loaded to account for hangups and latency (well supposed to :)). Even
buffers on HD controllers and stuff are there to help against the
latency. Hehe, what if you wrote a separate library for loading any type
of file where you supply a list of names and then it performs that
functionality.

Although I have to agree, being that I just bought a gig of ram for about
60 bucks, I would rather read all the samples into memory once and not
have all that extra beating going on with the HD.

Rick