Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Richard A. Smith (rsmith_AT_bitworks.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 23:35:17 EET

On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 14:55:59 -0500, Paul Davis wrote:

>few other people want them *a lot* doesn't do anything to balance the
>fact that very few people want them at all. companies that make small
>production runs need to charge a fortune for each item; companies that

Since I work for such a company. I'll comment on the above. We run a
boards in any minimum quantity and our pricing model is:

(Our Parts+labor * 25% markup) + NRE charges.

 A good 4 layer board (which you will just about have to have for
clean audio) would run you $400-500 in setup + per board costs
(probally $12-$20/pcb depending on board size & quantity)

If you have surface mount add $200 for a screen.

Then depening on the board we have a NRE charge for setting up the
equipment. Can't really estimate with out any idea of the boad but
usually $200-$400.

One area that can really jack the price up is if we get hit with
minimum buys from our parts vendors. You may only need 20 wiz-bang
chips but if they only come in lots of 100 we have to pass that extra
cost on to you (along with the extra parts).

However for a smaller type runs. Say 30 or so. It's possible and
doable for a single person to come in on say the weekend and run the
boards. So if you could talk such a person into doing it say with a
free board or 2. *grin* He should be able to get it done with only
minimum markup to cover ordering parts and some expendables.

You would still be looking at around $700 + parts for the run.

--
Richard A. Smith                         Bitworks, Inc.
rsmith_AT_bitworks.com               501.846.5777 x204