Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] open-source like hardware
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 21:55:59 EET

>> writing GPL'ed software, and one of the best ways of doing this comes
>> from selling and/or partnering with h/w. if the h/w is GPL'ed and in
>> free or ultra-low-cost circulation, this option vanishes, leaving only
>
>What about situation when there are no hw manufacturers willing to create
>Linux driver nor give documentation to write one?

its not true that no hw manufacturers are willing to create linux
drivers nor give documentation to write one. this is simply
misinformation and misleading.

>I would like to have soundcard with multichannel io and multiple user
>programmable DSP processors at resonable price. And of course with Linux
>drivers. Do you happen to know such device?

actually, i don't know of any such devices for any OS that i would
consider using except the creamware pulsar or SCOPE cards. i do know
that i have been approached by more than one company that makes DSP
cards and asked to write linux drivers for them. we didn't agree on
the use of the GPL, and so i haven't done so. i may revisit this, or
not. my point is that its a mistake to assume that nothing is
happening just because you don't know about it. most of my discussions
with such companies come under NDA's, for example.

there are good reasons why certain kinds of devices don't exist. the
most common is that hardly anyone wants them. the fact that you and a
few other people want them *a lot* doesn't do anything to balance the
fact that very few people want them at all. companies that make small
production runs need to charge a fortune for each item; companies that
make industrial sized production runs need customers. which of the two
are you willing and/or able to provide: lots of money, or sufficient
customers?

>I could even find use for "card" with 128 sample-synced input channels and
>at least 16 DSP processors.

no such device is being made for any OS at this time. the
kyma/capybara comes close, but has nothing like that input channel
count, AFAIK.

--p