Re: [linux-audio-dev] New plugins, fixes etc.

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] New plugins, fixes etc.
From: Paul Winkler (pw_lists_AT_slinkp.com)
Date: Tue Jan 15 2002 - 21:48:28 EET

On Tue, Jan 15, 2002 at 09:32:43PM +1100, Erik de Castro Lopo wrote:
> On Tue, 15 Jan 2002 11:16:57 +0200
> mikko.a.helin_AT_nokia.com wrote:

> It should be noted however that some of the really famous guitar sound
> (ie Eric Clapton's Cream work) was done on Class A amplifiers which are
> not push-pull at all :-).

And lots of others... probably the most widely used Class A amp was
the Vox AC-30, used by (among many others) early Beatles, Brian May,
the Edge (U2). For many people, class A tube power amps are the holy
grail of guitar amp distortion. Witness the price of a new Matchless
DC-30 (basically a handmade AC-30 from highest quality parts).

OTOH, we're probably more used to the push-pull sounds of most
high-power tube amps: Marshall, Fender, et al.

--

paul winkler home: http://www.slinkp.com music: http://www.reacharms.com calendars: http://www.calendargalaxy.com