[linux-audio-dev] Software RAID and disk throughput/latency issues

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Software RAID and disk throughput/latency issues
From: Sage Weaver (gypsysage_AT_hotmail.com)
Date: Sun Jan 20 2002 - 23:27:04 EET

Apologies if this is old hat to some of y'all, but I was curious to know if
anybody has had any experience using a software RAID disk configuration for
multitrack audio purposes, like with Ardour. I'm particularly interested to
know how a software RAID 1 (mirroring) setup holds up in such an environment
- does the overhead needed to write to two disks cause a problem? Does the
(theoretical) ability to read from two disks at once help out at all? Is it
highly recommended I not do this with ATA/100 disks? Any info is greatly
appreciated. :)

Sage