Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software RAID and disk throughput/latency issues

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] Software RAID and disk throughput/latency issues
From: Taybin Rutkin (trutkin_AT_physics.clarku.edu)
Date: Mon Jan 21 2002 - 00:18:28 EET

On Sun, 20 Jan 2002, Sage Weaver wrote:

> know how a software RAID 1 (mirroring) setup holds up in such an environment
> - does the overhead needed to write to two disks cause a problem? Does the
> (theoretical) ability to read from two disks at once help out at all? Is it
> highly recommended I not do this with ATA/100 disks? Any info is greatly
> appreciated. :)

One of the drawbacks of IDE is that only one of the two drives can be
talking at any one time. On the other hand, if you have two controllers
(and you probably do) this isn't a problem. On the third hand, there is a
good chance that Ardour will support saving sessions over multiple drives.
This would give you the same benefits of RAID 0 (striping).

I don't know if RAID 1 gives a performance boost. I'm pretty sure that
for writing it hurts performance. I don't know if when reading it spreads
it across different drives.

Taybin