Re: [linux-audio-dev] VST link (open?)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] VST link (open?)
From: Paul Davis (pbd_AT_Op.Net)
Date: Tue Jan 22 2002 - 22:01:26 EET

>>i asked steinberg about the openness of VST Link:

>> >is steinberg planning on providing specs for VST Link on a
>> >royalty+license free basis like VST itself, or will this be
>> >proprietary technology?
>>
>>at first it will not be open. we will decide later how to proceed...
>>charlie
>
>Is there any similiar movements in linux land to provide similiar
>functionality in the event VST System link is left closed?

Well, given that we don't even have the functionality that VST offers,
its hard to see how we'd be trying to do what VST Link does. Its also
hard to tell, from what Steinberg have released so far, exactly what
it is that VST Link does. It could just be a distributed word-clock
like signal that is used for block-based sample clocking. It could be
a positional sync reference like MTC or SMPTE. It could be both. It
could be something else. Its not really possible to tell just yet.

Once we can tell, I can pretty much guarantee that JACK, as an
existing synchronous execution engine, will evolve to support similar
functionality, unless Steinberg are doing something incredibly wierd,
or patented.

--p