RE: [linux-audio-dev] VST link (open?)

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] VST link (open?)
From: Richard W.E. Furse (richard_AT_muse.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 02:06:06 EET

[...]
> >I remind everyone that LADMEA is still out there. I've spent
> almost no time
> >on it since the original posting (and I know there are some areas needing
> >work) given the general lack of interest in anything this
> complex/general.
> >
> > www.ladspa.org/ladmea/
>
> but ladmea, like jack, is designed with a general assumption that
> synchronous execution is possible. the issue that VST Link solves is
[...]

Hmm, not so - LADMEA is designed very much with asynchronous operation in
mind (the clock and latency requirement stuff for instance). It's designed
to handle LAN or even WAN multimedia. Whether or not operation is
synchronous is up to the actual exchange implementation. If JACK was
modified to be a LADMEA exchange this would be synchronous - but this isn't
the only option.

And the nice thing is that (hopefully!) a tolerant client written using JACK
but talking to it through LADMEA would be able to use an asynchronous
exchange without any code change.

Of course, because of lack of interest I never did get around to building a
demo/SDK package. Perhaps that would convince folk, but I've only so much
free time...

--Richard