Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] EVO status...was: (open-source like hardware)
From: Paul Kellett (paul.kellett_AT_maxim.abel.co.uk)
Date: Thu Jan 24 2002 - 21:07:36 EET

> Yes, that rings a bell. I think it was on the S3000 at least,
> it was only stereo+monophonic, but if it had instant start it
> must have chached (the scsi controller in the 3000 was very slow).

The Akai S1100 and S3200 (and S3000 with an upgrade) could play back
recordings from hard disk. I'm pretty sure there was no caching as there was
always a delay - you could set what you wanted the delay to be, but the
minimum depended on the hard disk access speed. Mine was around 50ms (even
if the controller was slow, it always knew in advance where on the disk it
was going to be reading from). I think you could crossfade between two
recordings, but only if you set it up in a playlist in advance.

The Akai S5000 and S6000 do have cached-start sample playback from disk, but
I don't think these models pre-date Gigasampler. I doubt they are paying
giga/conexant any license fees though - maybe there are other Akai devices
worth looking at, as they did all sorts of audio-for-video editing stuff
nobody knows about.

Paul.

  m a x i m | digital audio

    http://mda-vst.com