Re: Giftware mechanics, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards: USB, Firewire, PCI, PCMCIA

Subject: Re: Giftware mechanics, was Re: [linux-audio-dev] Soundcards: USB, Firewire, PCI, PCMCIA
From: martijn sipkema (msipkema_AT_sipkema-digital.com)
Date: Fri Jan 25 2002 - 13:23:03 EET

> > > discriminate. ;-/ And the receiver takes the hit, AFAIKT the payer
> > > doesn't pay anything.
> >
> > Erm, it doesn't really make any difference who has to pay!
>
> Sure it does. Traditional stores eat credit card fees all the time.
> They do it because they know they'll sell more if they allow credit
> card sales, but only if the fee is hidden from the customer. If you
> went to buy $10 worth of stuff and the bill jumped to $11 when you
> showed them your credit card, you wouldn't use the credit card.

If the custumer had to pay extra for using a credit card, maybe he'd
rather not use it. It would be more transparent.

Now every customer in effect pays american express.

So, it does indeed matter. I think the customer should pay so he's
able to know how much he pays to who.

> If the bill went up just because you happened to mention that you
> were from outside the U.S., you'd be pissed off.

I can imagine shipping costs to be higher. And we have to pay
VAT in Europe. If appart from that the price would be higher,
then that is a shame, but it is also common practice. The industry
even invented DVD region codes to make this easier.

--martijn