RE: [linux-audio-dev] ALL RIGHT!! linux support comes first!!

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] ALL RIGHT!! linux support comes first!!
From: Pieter (pieter.palmers_AT_student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 23:18:17 EET

(redundant info removed :)

> It was pretty clear :)

You got those classes from the same person I had... :)

> >Anyway, I'd love any feedback on this, I instanly made this up,
> so I probably
> >missed some major things...
> Haven't got much time to think about it right now :/
> I would _really_ like to implement this stuff
> and try to introduce error correction and
> make it very robust.
> We could then create the signal using some program,
> record it to ADAT and then record it onto a dubplate
> and then try it out for real at my place :)

I think the Linux audio community could advance a lot if we could
manage to create this. We would instantly enlarge the userbase for
linux audio with a lot of DJ's. This is still a very new product &
concept, so the 'market' is still unoccupied. So if we can create
such a program fast & good, we can save a lot of people lot's of
money. The largest problem is that we don't provide a turn-key solution.
(That is true in general). Most of these people aren't capable of
installing & configuring Linux.

> We should be careful and maybe read the specific patent
> first though, and work around it.
I think the patent won't be a big problem, provided it's not
too broad (as always i suppose). There are many ways of implementing
this. I'm pretty sure a workaround can be found.

> Do you feel like working such a thing out,
> work out the details, document it, etc.
> I would love to code such an app.
> I really feel like doing something 'useful'
> at last after learning all this stuff in college.

The linux-friendly soundcard is still wandering around in my head...
I would like to assist, but for now, I can't promise anything.
I'm pretty much a hardware guy... don't get me wrong, I like
coding. But I like HW design more.
So the first thing I'm going to do, is some research on the feasability
of the soundcard...

> Seems like a nice application of digital and analog systems,
> syncing and robust software design.
I hated DAC. (I still do actually).
But this application can get me to reopen those books. Well actually, it
already did, the calculations above are based upon them :)

> but exams first :/
I'm currently getting my energy from planning what I'll do when the exams
are over...

> best regards
> vini

cu