RE: [linux-audio-dev] ALL RIGHT!! linux support comes first!!

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] ALL RIGHT!! linux support comes first!!
From: Pieter (pieter.palmers_AT_student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Sat Jan 26 2002 - 23:43:09 EET

> A quick look revealed following patents (get your ActiveX browser
> ready ;()
> http://l2.espacenet.com/dips/viewer?PN=FR2784492&CY=be&LG=nl&DB=EPD
> This is a French patent and awfully generic.
> You could argue though that in 'our' system a control signal is
> generated regardless of touching the disc.

I have two remarks:

1) from the patent overview
quote: 'The rotation sensor is a dynamoelectric detection module that
generates a control signal in response variation of speed and direction of
the disk'
It says dynamoelectric, i.e. it's mechanical. What we have in mind isn't
mechanical, it's pure software.

2) When reading the complete description (nice refreshment for my French), I
had the impression that they don't use an LP. They have a patent for 'a
mechanical controller that can pass on rotation speed and variations
thereof'. What we have in mind is more like 'a protocol that can be put on
an analog medium and can be interpreted by a computer as a timecode'. Sure
it doesn't make sense to put it on another medium than LP, but it's
technically possible. I can rephrase that into: it's inherently possible. So
a (VCR) tape would work perfectly (it would actually work better as it has a
better SNR).
If we create a system to read & interpret the timecode, are we violating any
patents? Maybe the problem arises when the LP masters are distributed with
the system.

> http://l2.espacenet.com/dips/viewer?PN=WO9701168&CY=be&LG=nl&DB=EPD
> This one uses an optical sensor, so this is ruled out too.

I had enough french for one day... so i skipped this :)

> If anyone can find more related patents, that would be cool.
> Anyway, reading through these patents can be very funney sometimes :)
> (ever heard of underwater headphones ? :)
> Now I know why there are patent attorneys ...
> There is a _lot_ you can discuss and interpret on these patents.

Indeed. I get the impression that a patent is always filed as general as
possible. Maybe the inventors think something like: "I should make sure I
include all possible side-effects&uses too". I think it weakens your patent.
If you include something that happens to exist, your whole patent can get
invalid. Or am I wrong on this?