Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALL RIGHT!! linux support comes first!!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] ALL RIGHT!! linux support comes first!!
From: Vincent Touquet (vincent_AT_ulyssis.org)
Date: Sun Jan 27 2002 - 02:46:06 EET

(cut)
>The largest problem is that we don't provide a turn-key solution.
>(That is true in general). Most of these people aren't capable of
>installing & configuring Linux.
I think we should make it work first and then worry about the user base :-)
If I'm my only user base and it works, it's fine by me.
Of course, it could say something about the usefulness of the system ;)
So, yes it would be cool if a lot of people could/would use it in the end.

>I think the patent won't be a big problem, provided it's not
>too broad (as always i suppose). There are many ways of implementing
>this. I'm pretty sure a workaround can be found.
I'm fairly optimistic too, for the time being.
I'll start on it after the exams and see how far it gets :)

>The linux-friendly soundcard is still wandering around in my head...
:-)

>I would like to assist, but for now, I can't promise anything.
>I'm pretty much a hardware guy... don't get me wrong, I like
>coding. But I like HW design more.
>So the first thing I'm going to do, is some research on the feasability
>of the soundcard...
I'm very interested in this stuff too.
I'm seeing it more as a programmable DSP card,
on which you can load your own programmed effects,
which would be otherwise hard to achieve in realtime.
But you see it a lot larger I guess,
I'm just not so much into hardware design
(as in I don't know enough about it to be able to suggest using
 some protocol over firewire to interface with a custom DSP,
 which kind of A/D D/A to use etc. ...)

>I'm currently getting my energy from planning what I'll do when the exams
>are over...
Same here :)
Looks like I've already some cool projects on the list...
Now only to find the time to do all this stuff ...

best regards
vini