[linux-audio-dev] [OT] Question regarding multi-channel capable apps in Linux

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Question regarding multi-channel capable apps in Linux
From: Ivica Bukvic (ico_AT_fuse.net)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 03:44:22 EET

Hi all!

I am in the process of installing brand-spanking-new RME Hammerfall on
one of the studio's Linux workstations (which is making me rather happy
:-), and am wondering what current apps are out there that are capable
of supporting multi-channel mixing without any hacks/patches and are
easy to install (no cvs stuff -- I'd love to get Ardour working, but I
simply don't have the time right now to mess with it). So, what I am
looking for are simple multi-track editors (no LADSPA or any other sound
processing capabilities needed, although they would be more than
welcome, obviously) that are stable (this is very important) and usable
in their current form, have multi-channel capability, are relatively
easy to install (relatively meaning that it can compile after minor
tinkering with it), and have usable gui editor.

Some of them I presume are Snd and Mxv, but from there on I am not sure
if any other are multi-channel capable (beyond stereo spread), such as
Mixmagic and Rt etc. So, I would greatly appreciate your assistance in
compiling the list of stuff so that I can more easily determine what to
give initially the highest priority to have installed on that machine,
so that the studio users can... well, use it :-).

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, since this is somewhat
off-topic, you can simply e-mail me rather than posting it on this board
(unless you obviously have a burning desire to do so :-). E-mail is
ico_AT_fuse.net. Thank you! Sincerely,

Ivica Ico Bukvic, composer, multimedia sculptor,
programmer, webmaster & computer consultant
http://meowing.ccm.uc.edu/~ico/
ico_AT_fuse.net
"To be is to do" - Socrates
"To do is to be" - Sartre