RE: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Question regarding multi-channel capable apps in Linux

Subject: RE: [linux-audio-dev] [OT] Question regarding multi-channel capable apps in Linux
From: Pieter (pieter.palmers_AT_student.kuleuven.ac.be)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 10:37:20 EET

(cut)

> Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also, since this is somewhat
> off-topic, you can simply e-mail me rather than posting it on this board
> (unless you obviously have a burning desire to do so :-). E-mail is
> ico_AT_fuse.net. Thank you! Sincerely,

I don't think this is off topic. It's my belief that a lot of musicians
have this problem. You can shit on windows as much as you like, but it
is very easy to use, and to install software on.
It's time to start working on a LAD (Linux Audio Distribution :) or
something like that. I know there is an initiative based on ?debian? but
I don't know what the it's status is.
It's nice that we make great tools that can withstand the competition with
commercial (windows) products (like Ardour), but what's the use if there is
no easy 'framework' for the potential users? Such programs are pretty much
unusefull if they can only be installed by people that are Linux
expierenced.
I can only illustrate this with my own experience: I have pretty extensive
computer knowledge, and any windows platform is a piece of cake (not much
credit to be taken there)... but Linux still requires quite some
intelligence
from my part. And I'm running RedHat, which is (I presume) one of the most
easy
distro's around. I didn't apply the low latency patches yet, and I expect
that
when I do, I will need at least half a day to get things working. Not
because
patching is that difficult, but because I will have to learn about various
other aspects of Linux first.

This issue is becomming more important as we speak because Apple, being the
artists favorite, has released MacOS X. I have no expierience with MacOS X
but
from what I hear, it's pretty good. For the moment it still lacks the
nescessary
programs, but that won't take long.

Just pitching a tought,

Pieter

(I get the impression that my emails have a tendancy to be very long... so
do my
sentences... I guess I need a lot of words to express myself. I envy the
masters
of the short sentences.)