[linux-audio-dev] Re: [MusE] Cakewalk file format

Subject: [linux-audio-dev] Re: [MusE] Cakewalk file format
From: Larry Troxler (lt_AT_westnet.com)
Date: Mon Jan 28 2002 - 14:09:22 EET

On 27 Jan 2002, Bob Ham wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I've got a shed load of cakewalk projects still lying around, some that
> I still want to work on. But I'm in the process of moving music
> production to my linux partition, helping where I can on the way. So,
> am I going to be able to import these files into muse, I'm thinking? I
> did a search on the web for the format but didn't turn anything up
> (surprise surprise.) So, it looks like a bit of reverse-engineering is
> going to be required which I've never done before, so it'll be an
> interesting experience. But, before I waste a lot of time, does anyone
> know of any previous effort(s) to do this? Or does anybody know
> anything about the format that may give me a leg up?

Many years ago, I mostly reverse-engineered the format (I don't remember
which version of Cakewalk it was). Unfortunately, I didn't keep any of the
code that used it. However I remember it wasn't as difficult as I was
expecting it to be - the file consisted of variable length typed chunks.
There was a chunk type for track info, one for track data, etc. I ended up
figuring out the format for about 80% of them. The length of each chunk
was in the first two bytes (or something like that) so it was no problem
to skip chunks that I hadn't decoded yet.

Larry Troxler