Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel preemption patch to 2.5 kernel tree!

Subject: Re: [linux-audio-dev] kernel preemption patch to 2.5 kernel tree!
From: Kai Vehmanen (kai.vehmanen_AT_wakkanet.fi)
Date: Tue Feb 12 2002 - 21:56:21 EET

On Mon, 11 Feb 2002, Andrew Morton wrote:

>> This is great news. Linus has now added Robert Love's kernel preemption
>> patch to the 2.5 tree!
> As I'm sure those on this list have noticed (I've only rejoined recently),
> the preemptive kernel is basically useless at this time. Worst-case
> latencies are still in the 50-100 millisecond range, and the average
> is only moderately improved. The comments and reactions in the
> popular press are pretty amazing to someone who has actually performed
> the measurements, trust me.

That is true. But still, I think it's good that low latency has got this
much attention. Even if the preemption patches don't deliver as good
latency figures as your ll-patch, it has shown that a _lot_ of people are
interested in low-latency (or more accurately, getting rid of latency
spikes that cause xruns in mp3 playback). This should be good ground for
marketing patches that attack the long kernel code-paths. ;)

--
 http://www.eca.cx
 Audio software for Linux!